- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts only, sliced (see How to Clean Leeks)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (1 teaspoon)
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 2 large) orange-flesh sweet potatoes (a.k.a. yams), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 4 cups chicken stock (use vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
Prep time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 50 minutes
Makes 6-8 Servings
1 Cook the onions, celery, leeks, and garlic: Melt the butter in a large, thick-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the celery and leeks and sauté for 5 more minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook a minute more.
2 Make and simmer the soup: Add the sweet potatoes, chicken stock, cinnamon stick, and nutmeg. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and simmer uncovered until the sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
3 Blend the soup: Remove the cinnamon stick. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup or work in batches and purée the soup in a standing blender.
4 Finish the soup: Add the cream and milk to the soup. Heat on medium until the soup is heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup – Simply Recipes